Healthy Scalp represents healthy hair. But, maintaining your scalp healthy without any problems is somewhat little bit harder. So, whenever you use olive oil on your hair then it will be an easy way to keep the scalp healthy. Olive oil is obtained by pressing the whole olives that can be extensively used in cooking, medicines, hair care products, etc. As we all know that olive oil has been used for centuries to treat many hair problems and to make your healthy and strong.
Here, you come to know the amazing properties of olive oil for hair and how it has to be applied on the hair to treat various scalp problems.
Is Olive Oil Good for Your Scalp?
Olive oil with its below explained amazing properties helps a lot in protecting the scalp and making it healthy that promotes healthy, shiny and beautiful hair.
- Olive oil is full of antioxidants that help to keep the skin of your scalp in better shape. It also contains other nutrients like vitamins A and E that reduces the damage done by hair care products (chemical based) or overuse of styling products.
- It contains mono-unsaturated fatty acids which help to coat the shaft of your hair that helps to keep it healthy and protected. It coats the damaged outer layer of the hair and finally gives silky, shiny, smooth healthier hair.
- It acts as a natural moisturizer when it applied on the scalp it moisturizers the scalp and reduces the appearance of dandruff by preventing the dry and flaky scalp. It contains vitamin E (super moisturizing property) that helps to moisture your scalp and hair.
- It contains antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that fight against the common scalp and hair problems like dandruff, head lice, etc.
- The scalp will be much cleaner after taking an olive oil treatment as it contains polyphenols (water-soluble substance). It also helps to smoothens out the dry and frizzy hair without the buildup of greasiness.
- Olive oil when applied makes lifeless and damaged hair as manageable that easy to style. It softens your hair and makes it pliable by extra moisturising and strength to your hair.
Note: Before going to read the remaining post, get an idea about best DIY home remedies for Dry Scalp Treatment.
Olive Oil for Scalp Treatment:
Follow these methods to keep your scalp well moisturized and nourished that results in healthy scalp and hair.
Method – 1: (Warm Olive Oil Massage)
- Olive oil, when heated provides deep conditioning for the hair and that finally leads to healthier and beautiful problem free scalp which inturn helps for perfect hair growth.
- Take 1/2 – 1 cup of olive oil and warm it either in the microwave or stove for few seconds until the oil gets warm.
- Remove it from the heat and allow it to cool for few seconds to ensure that the oil is not too hot to apply it on your scalp
- Then apply this oil to your hair by making it as parts but concentrate more on the scalp
- Allow it some time to saturate properly and massage your scalp and hair with your finger tips.
- Comb your hair and cover it with a towel or shower cap
- Let it sit for about 20 – 40 minutes or overnight and then rinse it off with shampoo and conditioner.
- This process acts as barrier on your scalp to prevent it from losing moisture and helps to remove the dead skin cells to prevent many hair and scalp problems.
- Continue doing this process once a week or whenever you cleanse your hair to get rid of the dry scalp problem.
This Warm Olive Oil Massage is also used to treat other scalp problems like dry scalp, itchy scalp, flaky scalp, dry scalp and dandruff, itchy scalp and dandruff, scalp psoriasis, scalp eczema, scalp fungus, hair growth, dry and itchy scalp dandruff, dry itchy and flaky scalp, scalp dandruff.
Method – 2: (Olive Oil)
- Take sufficient amount of olive oil (as per the length of your hair)
- Apply it on your hair staring from the hair roots and massage it towards entire scalp and hair
- Massage for few minutes until the oil is properly saturated all over the hair.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or towel and to maximize the benefits of olive oil, stay under the dryer for 15 – 20 minutes (in order to add heat that helps for better absorption of the oil)
- Leave it for 5 – 10 minutes and then rinse it off with water followed by shampoo.
- Or simply, you can use the products that contain olive oil as one of the main ingredient in it like from shampoos, conditioners to hairsprays, etc.
Method – 3: (Olive Oil with Coconut Oil)
- Take olive oil and coconut oil in 1:1 ratio i.e. 1 tablespoon of olive oil mixed with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Stir both the oil as they mix properly.
- Apply it on your scalp and hair by massaging gently on your scalp.
- Allow it to stay on the hair for about 30 – 40 minutes and then rinse it off with water and shampoo.
Olive Oil on Scalp for Overnight:
Olive oil on scalp for overnight will be very effective treatment that helps to prevent the dryness, itchiness and dandruff on the scalp.
- Take sufficient amount of olive oil and apply it on the scalp
- Massage it gently for few minutes and cover your hair with a plastic shower cap or towel
- Leave it off for overnight and then wash it out with shampoo in the next morning.
- Repeat the same process of applying oil to your hair continuously for a week.
- You will find out that your hair and scalp will become shiny, healthy without any problem.
Olive Oil for Dry Scalp Treatment:
Dry scalp is simply defined as the condition where the scalp skin becomes extremely dry and flaky and the problem will be more serious if not taken any proper care. It can be a result from the dehydrated scalp, deficiency of some nutrients, stress, hormonal imbalance, over exposing to sunlight, etc. Dry scalp needs to be well moisturized and olive oil is a super natural moisturizer that has many efficient properties to treat the dry scalp. Here, you came to know that how to use olive oil for dry scalp.
Method – 1: (Olive Oil with Sugar Scalp Scrub)
- Take 4 – 5 tablespoons of sugar (preferably large brown sugar crystals) in a small bowl
- Add sufficient amount of olive oil and mix it well to make a fine paste.
- Apply this on your scalp and rub it gently like scrub in circular motion
- Leave it for 5 – 10 minutes and then rinse it off with shampoo and apply conditioner
- This process helps to prevents dry scalp as it cleans your scalp gently and prevents the shedding of excess skin cells that comes out whenever you starch on your scalp.
Method – 2: (Olive Oil with Honey and Vegetable Glycerine)
- Take 4 tablespoons of virgin organic olive oil and add 2 tablespoons each of pure vegetable glycerine and pure honey.
- Stir all these ingredients well.
- Shampoo your hair and apply this mixture as a conditioner
- Finally rinse your hair with water and pat it dry.
Method – 3: (Olive Oil with Avocado and Honey)
- Take a ripened avocado, 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil and a teaspoon of honey.
- Avocado has to be mashed with the help of blender or food processor or by pressing it with hands.
- Then mix all these ingredients properly and apply it to your dry hair
- Wrap your hair with shower cap and leave it like that for at least 30 minutes
- Finish this process by washing your hair with warm water thoroughly and then shampoo it afterwards.
- This process makes your hair soft, glossy and moisturized that prevents the dry scalp.
Olive Oil for Dry Scalp and Dandruff:
Dry scalp is one of the most common problem that causes dandruff. Try these methods that makes the dryness and dandruff go away from your hair.
Method – 1: (Olive Oil with Honey)
- Take half cup of virgin olive oil and warm it for few seconds
- Add 2 teaspoons of honey and mix it well
- Apply this on your scalp and gently massage it with your fingers.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes to get saturated into your hair and scalp completely.
- Rinse it off with herbal shampoo and cover your scalp with hot towel that helps to hold the moisturizer very effectively.
- In this process, olive oil when combined with honey makes your hair healthy and moisturized as honey is anti-inflammatory and antiviral agent and olive oil moisturizes the scalp.
Method – 2: (Olive Oil with Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Take a cup of warm olive oil and apply it on your scalp and hair
- Massage your hair and scalp with your finger tips for few minutes
- Leave it like that for few hours by covering your hair with shower cap.
- Shampoo your hair and then use apple cider vinegar, a natural conditioner to condition your hair
- Let it be on for few minutes and then rinse it off with fresh water
- This process helps to reduce the dry scalp, dandruff and the inflammation caused by dry scalp.
Olive Oil for Itchy Scalp:
When you are in parties, meetings, public places, you’re scalp starts itching due to some inflammatory reaction underneath the hair on our head. Then you have to scratch your scalp to reduce your stress levels and all this will spoil other impression on you. It is caused due to skin dryness, skin diseases, fungal or bacterial infections, inflammatory disorders, obesity or sunburn, etc. Olive oil is the best oil that helps to clear all these problems with its amazing properties and makes your hair itchy-less and healthy.